SLAC or Stanford Travel?

Most travel for SIMES is done on behalf of a DOE project, and thus is approved and reimbursed using SLAC travel procedures. The first thing the scientist should determine is whether his/her travel involves SIMES or Stanford University funding.

Traveling for SLAC

Update: COVID-19 and SLAC Travel:

This link has current information: SLAC Travel updates

Normal Travel information:

Traveling for business at SLAC involves many rules due to our DOE funding restrictions. What follows is an overview. Refer to the SLAC Travel Office website for more information, advice and tips on traveling. Please do not hesitate to contact SIMES Administration if you have questions.

The SLAC Travel Card (Mastercard) is available to all travelers who are SLAC staff or whose SLAC affiliation is “Employee/Campus”. It can be used to charge airfare and hotel directly to SLAC rather than to traveler’s own credit card. See information in “Travel Card” section below.

Concur travel system is used for all SLAC travel.

Start by reading ” Starting travel request,” and reviewing the Concur Quick Start Guides on SLAC Travel’s webpage. Note: If you set up your profile with the SIMES Travel Admin (Marta Vitale) as delegate, then she can help you enter travel requests and expenses. Using Concur is a link to some general tips about submitting travel requests and expenses in Concur. Main SLAC Travel page  is here: There are  “Quick Start Guides” which walk you through doing Travel Requests, Expense Requests, and more.


If the pull-down list doesn’t automatically appear, type ” ( ” (open parenthesis) in the box to access the pull-down list of conferences.

Professional Association membership.

If you are going to submit a membership payment in combination with conference registration (e.g. for the APS March Meeting) DON’T!

You are required to fill out this form, and may only use the SLAC P-card for payment. A member of the admin team can help you with the payment.

Foreign Travel

Know the specific requirements for travel to the country of your destination.  Current details are here.  See 2018 and 2017 changes and other essential information here. If you are including personal days, domestic or foreign, you will need an airfare comparison for reimbursement.  When making your airline reservation, search for and save an itinerary and pricing for the trip without personal days. Be sure to check the FAQ on SLAC Travel page for rules for personal days on foreign trips.

 UC Berkeley/LBNL

If you travel to UC Berkeley or Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, see this page. Local travel such as this is not eligible for reimbursement of meals.

Travel Card

All SLAC and Stanford student/staff travelers can request a SLAC Travel Card.  It can be used to charge airfare and hotel directly to SLAC rather than to traveler’s own credit card.  See this link for information, policy and application.

If you wish to use the SIMES department card for a reservation, contact the SIMES Travel Admin.


Conference Registration fees are submitted for reimbursement on the expense report, whether or not they will be reimbursed from STAP funds. – Refer to the Creating an Expense Report for Registration Fees Charged to STAP Quick Start Guide for detailed steps on how to itemize and allocate your registration fees. Meals are reimbursed through SLAC by requesting Meals and Incidentals (M&IE) based on the travel location. – do not include any meals paid for by others. This includes meals that are part of the conference registration – if you request reimbursement for an actual expense, SLAC will not reimburse sales tax – first and last days of a trip are considered travel days, and M&IE is reimbursed at 75%. Airfare and Conference Registration can be reimbursed before completion of the trip. You must have an approved Travel Request before requesting reimbursement

 SLAC Visitor Travel and Reimbursement

SLAC’s scientists and administrators often invite visitors to SLAC to discuss research findings or to collaborate on research projects. If the visitor’s travel expenses are to be reimbursed using DOE funds, the visitor must follow a prescribed SLAC process. In addition, foreign nationals are asked to visit the SLAC International Service Office to verify their passports/visas. See Visitor Travel information. SIMES Administration can assist you.

Traveling for Stanford University

Travel that is to be supported and reimbursed through Stanford University does not require pre-approval (except if postdoc or student — see below). Scientists may arrange their travel with just a few caveats (e.g. air travel must be with a domestic carrier: save your receipts). SIMES Administration can assist in requesting reimbursement or the scientist can process his/her own reimbursement. See the Travel section at Stanford’s Gateway to Financial Activities (Fingate) for information on traveling with Stanford.

Preapproval (Students and Postdocs Only): Reimbursement payments to students and postdocs who attend, speak or present at a conference or meeting, or visit a field site or off-campus laboratory, will be tax-reportable unless one of two documents are included with the reimbursement request.